Here is the sketch of the new outfit
I pulled out this fabric - it had been waiting in the closet for about 6 years ;-)
GREEN LOOKS HORRIBLE ON ME!
For the Collar (Ozherlya) I had to find a color that didn't make me look sick
and that went well with the Olive and Gold
Considered - Brown, Light Blue, Red (no), Purple...
Shopped on-line for a week - looking for a plum that matched my beehive trim
I wanted a piece of fabric that was plum with large repeating geometrics in gold
Alas - not to be found
settled for a piece of plain plum cotton
I also shopped on-line for gold boullion(sp?) applique
found the perfect pieces and ordered them - from India ;-)
(would they get here in time?)
started the collar on Memorial Day Weekend
Work on the collar continues
and the linen underdress is started
I cut this out - hemmed every raw edge (by hand) and then sewed it all together with a herringbone lacing stitch
I left the lower arms unfinished so that I could add the decorated cuffs later
here is my gathering of fabrics for making the main dress
Shopped on-line (A LOT) looking for pieces to make my headdress
that would look sort of like this
here is the kolt
I found some stuff that sort of worked
well - kind of met the need
and after a bunch of work putting the hanging pieces together
I sat down one Saturday to make the headdress
here it is
here it is with the collar too
Oh - and the beginnings of the necklace too
Also I have cut the dress and hemmed all the raw edges
I am beginning to add the decoration in this photo
( this is starting to remind me of illuminating scrolls :-)
Finished the trim on Fourth of July
and finished sewing the dress together
I made plum tape(not bias) to finish the edges - sewed them on at the tops of the front and back pieces
and then sewed the back and front of the dress together - (again with the herringbone stitch)
I also bought some olive colored bias tape for under the arms and down the sides
finally added the underdress cuffs
It is complete enough to wear for the Peican Ceremony :-)
but still not finished...
1) I purchased a piece of garment leather and I need to line the collar so that all the stitching is protected.
2) I learned late in the game that the Rus made seperate highly decorated cuffs - and I now understand why. The decorations catch on everything and should be the last thing you put on - like putting on a bracelet. I need to remove the cuffs from the undergarment and make them separately.
3) I need to line the inside of the dress where the decoration is to protect the stitching.
I'm pretty happy :-)
I got close to the original sketch.
the main difference being - that I decided to only put one length of decoration down the front (rather than the two I had first imagined)